Monday, July 19, 2010

The Importance of Editing

I need to make a correction on my recent post, Building Realistic Worlds - Part 1.  Specifically, on the section regarding Split Infinity.  What actually made it to the post was my rough draft.  It's been a good number of years since I read that series and over time my mind became tainted with the notion that the planet where much of the action takes place is Earth's moon.

OK, so the reality is, in a later draft I had corrected this, the story take place on the planet Proton, which has very similar characteristics to our moon.  It's one of the reasons I remembered the story incorrectly in the first place.

Moreover, I failed to put the corrected version into the blog.  Rather than go back and update it post-mortem, I've decided this is a great opportunity to show my own error and emphasise the importance of editing what you write.  So, cheers to those who might have caught the mistake!  And to those that didn't, let me just say that the premise is the same, just the location is different.

2 comments:

  1. An example of why a work should sit for a few days, awaiting review before it is submitted for consideration by an editor or agent.

    In the big scheme of things, waiting a day or a week isn't going to matter much (unless there's a deadline), but it could make a difference in the eyes of the party reading the submission.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're point is well taken. My newbieness to this blog thing, and the excitement of trying to get something going, put me in a bigger rush than I should have been in. I suppose the moral of the story (if it isn't obvious) is to make sure everything is the best it can be before pressing submit to send anything to your agent/editor - or blog posts for that matter.

    ReplyDelete

Please play nice with others. Disrespect against any commentor (or me for that matter) may result in deletion of your comment. Disagreements are perfectly acceptable - just keep it civil.